May 31, 2017
The early summer Podcast offers you the following topics:
- Summer seems to have arrived, yet I for one am not that thrilled!
- what constitutes a good trick? I look at some options
- there are three different types of show enquiry that you may be getting and I explain how you might categorise them and what they each mean
- lectures have changed in nature but my latest offering is more like they used to be
- how music can be a real asset for a close up performer
- your credibility as a magician is important for potential bookers, so here's a way to ensure you get some
April 30, 2017
For May we have a Podcast Special:
I like to ring the changes once a year with the Podcast content and so this edition features three Audio Files extracted from Mark's Monthly Message video presentations which were originally given to E-Club Pro members. Here you can listen to audio tracks which cover topics on how to approach a table, ways to get great reactions from spectators at those tables, and finally, how to judge the right length to stay at any given table.
March 31, 2017
The April Podcast covers the following topics:
- Putting yourself in the shoes of your close up spectators can be revealing
- the Magic Circle ups the ante with its Dealers Day
- protecting your website from the 'bad guys' is an ongoing problem
- lay people often have misconceptions about the magic world
- MLM has now officially become a digital magic hub
- what does it mean if you claim to be a 'professional' magician?
- long experience can be a double edged sword
- the unique attribute that magic has
February 28, 2017
The March miscellany of musings from Mark include...
- Does cramped dealer space reduce sales?
- tracking where show enquiries come from and whether they turn into bookings is vital
- what do you do when a trick goes wrong? - why this is really an unimportant question
- no, not retiring, just a change of the way MLM products are delivered
- a reflection on the 'explosion' of lecturers doing the rounds on the UK magic club circuit
- why Bark are causing show fees to be pushed down
- early influences can shape our magic future
January 31, 2017
This month I discuss the following topics:
- Reflections on the January 2017 Session Convention in London
- Jamie Raven scores well with some radio magic and gives us all something to learn from the way he did it
- how ill do you have to be before you will consider backing out of a show booking?
- teaching total beginners magic skills in the MLM Academy makes me realise how basic the initial information may need to be
- a magic conundrum for commercial close uppers at dinners is revealed
- when is the right time to put up your show fees?
December 31, 2016
Start the new year with the following podcast topics:
- Being a performer means we work when others aren't and prevents us from enjoying our own social lives
- having the confidence to change your performing environment can be important to the success of your show
- I reflect on the number of magical podcasts that are now available
- where will the hand crafted wooden magic props come from in the future?
- sometimes we can be unaware of how loud our music or voice amp needs to be
- audio books provide an interesting way to learn
- are the days of the general theatrical agent numbered as the internet provides bookers with all the info they need?
November 30, 2016
The festive Podcast features discussion on the following topics:
- I reflect that this completes exactly 4 years of the Podcast
- December's shows put a strain on us and our props in a way that virtually no other month usually does
- having used PR earlier this year, I consider whether it is a good way to handle self promotion
- Deciding How Long To Perform For - listen for free to this marketed Mark's Monthly Message Audio File
- I ponder on how it can take a long time often to become an 'overnight' success
- what's the ideal time to arrive at a gig?
October 31, 2016
The November bag of topics includes:
- Email or 'phone - which is
your preferred method to receive show enquiries? I look at the pros and
cons of both
- I ponder on whether the very young and very old get a
disproportionate amount of credit for the magic that they do
- life on
the road - I get a glimpse of what real itinerant performers have to
- MLM will be turning completely digital next year
importance of video on magic websites cannot be underestimated
Reyes extols the virtues of correct methods of practice and I discuss
why he's right to do so
September 30, 2016
Your October fest of comment and chat this month covers the following:
- The Cumbrian Conjurers
Collective meets again
- a month proves a long time in magic for Stan
Allen and Magic Magazine
- barking up the wrong tree? - I discuss the
merits or otherwise of an online magic 'agency'
- putting new magic into your act may be nerve wracking sometimes but is it also hugely beneficial?
- I consider whether live over-the-counter product dems have much
importance in this online age
- how to decide which group or table to
approach first at a gig
- observations on how exhibitors interract with
potential customers at a wedding fair
August 31, 2016
The new magic season podcast contains the following:
- Reflections on the new magic season
- magicians tend to
try to do everything in their magic lives rather than getting
professionals to help with key areas of promotion and advertising
end of Magic Magazine causes shock waves
- what is your USP that will
help you to get a good conversion rate of enquiries to bookings?
- Dynamo's transition from the small TV screen to big arenas
- I offer a sample recording of one of my It Could Only Happen Live stories
- news of the release of a further six Audio File Downloads