September 30, 2016
Your October fest of comment and chat this month covers the following:
- The Cumbrian Conjurers
Collective meets again
- a month proves a long time in magic for Stan
Allen and Magic Magazine
- barking up the wrong tree? - I discuss the
merits or otherwise of an online magic 'agency'
- putting new magic into your act may be nerve wracking sometimes but is it also hugely beneficial?
- I consider whether live over-the-counter product dems have much
importance in this online age
- how to decide which group or table to
approach first at a gig
- observations on how exhibitors interract with
potential customers at a wedding fair
August 31, 2016
The new magic season podcast contains the following:
- Reflections on the new magic season
- magicians tend to
try to do everything in their magic lives rather than getting
professionals to help with key areas of promotion and advertising
end of Magic Magazine causes shock waves
- what is your USP that will
help you to get a good conversion rate of enquiries to bookings?
- Dynamo's transition from the small TV screen to big arenas
- I offer a sample recording of one of my It Could Only Happen Live stories
- news of the release of a further six Audio File Downloads
July 31, 2016
This is what you can expect in the August edition...
- Why we should all embrace the age we are and concentrate some of our
marketing directly on those bookers who are attracted to performers of
our particular age
- how I have continued to cope with being a Jeremy
- I discuss a new event aimed at those who want to
learn how to get to grips with marketing themselves
- Public Domain -
how do you define which tricks fall into this category and who makes the
decision about it in the first place?
- some Mark's Monthly Messages
are now being made available as downloadable audio files
performance makes everything the performer does so slick that the way
the magician handles his props can be as appealing as the magic itself
- a lay person asks me why there aren't more women in magic
June 30, 2016
In July I am looking at the following topics:
- I consider the luck involved in getting show bookings and how it is hard to predict when they will come along
- here's a theory for why Richard Jones came first on BGT, and Jamie Raven only achieved a second place
- being a creature of habit helps me to achieve long running features for magicians
- I ask the question of whether, if the fee was right, you would take on any type of show?
- crowdfunding - the future of magic project capitalisation?
- sometimes we need perhaps to put the brakes on when performing to avoid putting our foot in it!
- necessity is the mother of invention, especially for creative magicians
May 31, 2016
Here's what you'll find in the June offering:
- I look back at my recent
tour of the USA and reflect on what it was like
- do you tend to get
more shows at a distance from where you live rather than very locally,
and if so, why do think that is?
- I talk about a brand new release that
I am excited about
- I look at why pro performers are often so slick
in the way that they perform
- the problems that summer heat or general
weather conditions can cause for you and your props
- how we can harness
lay people's perception of our magic to our benefit
- exactly what is
it that makes comedy funny? - I discuss the factors that need to come
together for comedy to work
April 30, 2016
month I have put together a 'gold' version of the Podcast in which I
have collected together a selection of extracts from Podcasts that have
been published over the last year or so. This is your chance to catch
some of the discussions which you may have missed.....
- how to get cost effective Public Liability Insurance and why you may need it
- some of your spectators may suffer from Rhabdophobia - do you know what this is?
- where have all the dedicated magic book suppliers gone?
- how to turn business cards you collect into a truly valuable resource
- do less magicians buy at conventions because they are buying all the time online?
- having a sense of your own performance value helps when quoting show fees
March 31, 2016
You'd be an April Fool not to listen to the latest Podcast which covers...
- I look ahead to my latest
trip to the USA in April and anticipate the lectures and conventions
that I will be present at
- the demise of Paul Daniels leaves a huge
gaping hole in the magic scene
- my daughter experiences first hand an
issue that table magicians have to contend with
- I explain why it is
impossible to ever organise the perfect magic event
- announcing the
latest release in the Classic Leveridge Range
- have you ever considered
just how important the event at which you are entertaining is for those
present, or is it just your latest gig?
- what is it that makes you buy
a new magic trick, and do you need to be fooled by it first?
February 29, 2016
The March melange of magical musings includes....
- How I managed to make the Blackpool Convention relaxing!
- the challenges of performing close up for two blind people
- Magicseen is in its 12th year and now has a huge body of work to offer
- does it bother you when spectators are constantly fiddling with their phones while you are trying to entertain them?
- the advantages of getting most show enquiries by email
- the E-Club Pro 30 Day Pass
- what is acceptable as performance clothing and does it really matter?
January 31, 2016
Inside this month's audio treat....
- The Blackpool Convention
awaits but will have one small thing missing this year
- do you adapt
your presentation style according to who is in your audience?
magicians are SO lucky to be able to involve spectators in their acts
look at a number of reasons that may prevent you adding fresh material to your show
- new release Six Appeal has got off to a strong start
- the inhibiting
factor for close up of the quiet, small performance room
- I consider a response to one of the questions most commonly asked by spectators
- I reveal my favourite type of booking and explain why it is so great
December 31, 2015
Your New Year edition offers the following:
- How looking back over 2015
can help you to plan and evaluate what you'd like or need to do in 2016
- if you pass a booking you can't do to a magic colleague, do you expect
to get a cut of the fee?
- creativity for the long haul needs a managed
- new beginner magic workshops in 2016 at the Mark Leveridge
- reflections on the current healthy state of live magic
in the UK
- show and self promotion requires constant attention these
- do you ever fall into the Charity trap?